24 Aug 2017.For those of you who can look at a swastika or a confederate flag and say "Why can't people just let it be?" I have been thinking: maybe you haven't had the experiences I have had. Maybe you don't know the things I know. Here is why we can't "let it be."
- Read the Diary of Anne Frank, a murdered Jewish girl whose spirit survives.
- Watch the film Night and Fog, a documentary about the Nazi concentration camps.
- Listen to a talk given by a holocaust survivor.
- Read a first-hand account of the horrors of slavery in the United States. Consider that people were born into slavery under our system. Families were forcibly separated. For generations.
- Read the books 1493 and 1491.
- Read the book Lies My Teacher Told Me.
- Ask a Jewish friend if they have ever received death threats. They have.
- Read about Emmett Till, a fourteen-year-old boy who was beaten and murdered for offending a white woman.
- Read about Matthew Shepard, who was beaten to death for being gay.